She Reads & Writes

Women • Fiction • Life

The books Five Quarters of the Orange and Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
The first and most recent reads of the Dinner and a Book Club.

This month the book club I’m in celebrated meeting every month for 15 years! 15 YEARS!

My mother started the Dinner and a Book Club in July 2004. The club has 12 members and meets monthly. This works out to each woman in the club hosting the meeting at her home once a year. Hosting entails choosing the book, making the dinner, and leading the discussion. Then, for the other 11 months of the year, you get to simply enjoying attending the meetings.

I have a distinct memory of my mother asking if I thought anyone would be interested in joining a book club. I’m so glad she was brave enough to just start the club and see what happened!

I’m so glad my mom was brave enough to just start the club and see what happened!

Over the years, some members have left and some new ones have joined, but it’s largely the same group. And as you can imagine, this community has gone through a lot together: Moves, marriages, divorces, births, deaths, career changes, and so on. It really is special that this community of women was built around a mutual love of books.

So what do we read?

I thought it would be fun to quick note our first read, most recent read, and a few of my favorites in between.

You can also see a more complete list of all of the books I’ve read for the club by connecting with me on GoodReads and visiting my Book Club List.

I definitely haven’t read all of the club’s books over the past 15 years, but it’s still a pretty long list!

Are you in a book club? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!

Processing…
Success! You're on the list.

8 thoughts on “15 Years of the Dinner and a Book Club

1. aprildbest says:

What a fun idea! I was part of a book club and loved it but haven’t been able to make it since Hugo was born 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Susan M.K. Howard says:

I didn’t make it after Giles was born until he was 6 or 7 months old. Just too hectic/tiring of a time. I did still read a few of the books at my own pace though!

2. tbretc says:

I love that you’ve had a book club for 15 years! You must have read so many good books throughout the years.

Liked by 1 person

1. Susan M.K. Howard says:

One of the great things is that it “forces” you to try some books you never would have picked up on your own. We have a lot of different reading tastes in the group. Sometimes you don’t like the book, but on quite a few occasions I’ve really enjoyed a book I never would have read!

3. Jess says:

Our book club is celebrating our 10th anniversary in September! Only two of our five original members are still in (the others have moved away), but we’ve had many join and leave over the years and now have a great core group of six. We were a bunch of newish moms when we began, and now we have middle schoolers!

1. Susan M.K. Howard says:

That’s awesome! How great to go through the same parenting stages together – while enjoying some good books of course!

4. Elena says:

How fun that you get to enjoy reading alongside your mama and other women! That is so impressive and inspiring that the book club is going strong after 15 years! And I love how you have it set up for one person to be in charge of everything once a year and then they can relax every other month! I am in my 3rd year leading a book club and it is fantastic but sometimes can be time-consuming since I end up leading discussions a majority of the time.

Liked by 1 person

1. Susan M.K. Howard says:

For us at least, I think the shared hosting has led to the club’s success. Maybe you could bring the idea up to your group?!